Sunday, June 26, 2011

A POEM FOR THE SUICIDE TOURIST ... CRAIG

On Frontline I saw an episode entitled THE SUICIDE TOURIST documenting Craig, a man suffering terribly from an incurable illness and who had to travel to Europe to receive humane treatment. You can see this wonderful episode online.

I CANNOT STAY WHERE I HAVE BEEN
For Craig

Soon
Far from home is where I'm going
but I'm going to be traveling light
Taking only a full bag of memories
Soon
When the time is right
I'll be ready for my spirit to take flight
Cause I cannot stay where I have been

In my minds eye I can see the textures of my life
The bold exclamation of satisfaction
Next to a wild, glorious, unbridled burst of creativity
Hiding behind the unfulfilled dreams of recognition

But in a flash the painting's almost complete
the canvass looks full 'cept for one blank spot
waiting for that last peaceful splash of ...
disappointment?
But, before then
I'll sign it
so all will know that it was my creation
and this most interesting (to me) piece of art
will be not just finished, but
only ready to be hung
on the wall
it's creator visiting it's creator
for I cannot stay where I have been

No comments:

Post a Comment