Thursday, June 23, 2011

WHERE HAVE I BEEN ALL MY LIFE?

I have recently been diagnosed as someone with PTSD which is Post Traumatic Shock Disorder. Now, in my mind that was something reserved to people, well "men" who survived a war, who were "shell shocked" which was the term I grew up with but, after thinking about it some more, it made perfect sense to me because my home was definitely a battlefield and I was a prisoner of war kept in solitary confinement. A survivor of neglect and stupidity, I was doomed to live out the rest of my life with a different reality from the rest of the world. I never learned how to trust, how to make friends, how to be a good mother (how could I never having one myself), and even so I have an optimistic heart. I have a talent to forget. But even so it's taken me a long time to get over my childhood. On my show THE LUNCH & JUDY SHOW, I talk about growing up as a child of the 40's which was a totally different planet, believe me. From the Radio that I not only loved but learned how to be human, to early Television and what it meant for me to be thrust into a larger world than I ever imagined. Television transformed my life in so many ways and I try to give my audience a feeling of what entertainment was like w a y back then ... naive, silly at times, sincere almost all the time, and nobody had to use the word "authentic", they already were, they didn't know how to do anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment